Stones of Canada Blog

Stones of Canada Ep: 5 

Minerals of Canada

Diamonds 

Diamonds are best known as gemstones, even though only 20% of the world's production by weight is used for jewellery. The other 80%, known as bort, is used in industrial and research applications where the unique properties of diamonds are required. In 2018, Canada was the world's third largest producer of diamonds by value (14.4%) and the third largest producer by volume (15.7%)

Canada's total primary exports of diamonds were valued at $2.9 billion in 2018.

Canadian diamond
(Canadian Diamond)

Gold 

Gold is a precious metal most commonly used in jewellery. Gold is mined in nine Canadian provinces and territories, and is the highest valued commodity produced in Canada by value of production.

Ontario and Quebec together accounted for more than 75% of mined gold production in Canada in 2018.

In 2018, the value of Canadian gold exports was $17.3 billion applications. In 2018, Canada ranked eighth in the world in the production of refined lead.

Gold mining & prospecting in Canada
(Gold Mining and Prospecting in Ontario Canada)

Economy

The Natural Resources Canada's Lands and Minerals Sector is committed to promoting Indigenous participation in mineral exploration and mining activities by sharing information to support informed decision-making that builds partnerships and promotes community capacity building. Agreements between companies and Indigenous peoples, Agreements between mineral exploration and mining companies and Indigenous communities or governments have helped secure benefits for many Indigenous communities and businesses and improved certainty for exploration and mining companies.

Along with this inclusive policies and participation have helped the growth of Canada's manufacturing, mining, and service sectors also  transformed the nation from a largely rural economy to an urbanised, industrial one.